Thursday, November 12, 2009

In the business world

Have you ever walked into a meeting and you could feel the tension… everyone is frowning, arms are crossed, people are sitting back in their chairs or leaning forward, threateningly, towards another person? In my job I have to participate in many high anxiety meetings. It is very hard not to get pulled into that energy. You naturally harmonize with the energy that surrounds you so that you fit in and become part of the group. Unfortunately, that means you can get sucked into the negative mire of conflicts that are not your own, quickly and without your begin aware that it is happening.

Let’s face it; the economy is making everyone anxious. I was at a client site last week to talk to them about changing the way they do business because they are dependent on outdated technology. This meant an investment. Immediately, I could feel an increase in the tension, negative energy blossomed and with it came defensive reactions. I wasn’t there to sell anything, but it was so hard not to jump to defend myself, my ideas and my company. I felt the overwhelming urge to justify my statements with dire predictions and doomsday comments… my energy was trying to come into harmony with the tension in the room. I had to consciously ‘sit back’ and start putting out positive energy into the room. Mentally I reviewed that this was a good thing I was talking about, it would help them strategize for the future, and give them ways to improve their business not just maintain the status quo. As soon as I reinforced, energetically, the positive side of the situation in my own mind, then I could ignore their negativity. I started to neutrally listen to their conversation all the while saturating the room with positive energy. I could feel the anxiety level fall. I became the energy center that their energy wanted to harmonize with. With the change in energy came a change in attitude, they smiled and discussed how this could bring about efficiencies and profits.

Something so small as positive energy made a huge difference that day. My client got excited about the possibilities and everyone at the meeting got the benefits of less stress on our bodies. Guerilla energy working WORKS, in all situations!

No comments:

Post a Comment